[ the BASICS of constructive COMMUNICATION ]
Nonviolent Communication helps us remember something we already know instinctively:
Just how good it feels to connect with other people in an authentic and appreciative way and to contribute freely and out of pure joy to their well-being.
In spite of this knowledge we often quarrel with one another. The way we communicate can lead to pain and distance, judgments and justifications and even to breaking off relationships altogether or the attempt to harm one another.
Especially in these situations our mind is trained to quickly figure out who is to blame – me or others – and who needs to be punished as a consequence. However, this strategy rarely leads to sustainable solutions and relationships based on appreciation and trust. So what’s behind all that? How can we reconnect – with ourselves and with each others and live the relationships we wish for?
How can we unfold our compassion, this precious and deeply human potential, while finding clarity in our expression without attacking and listen without losing the presence or feeling attacked? NVC is a mindset as well as a method which helps us to break free from old reactive patterns and find a more conscious way of treating ourselves and our fellow humans.
* course content
- Nonviolent – what does that mean?
- Self-awareness skills for a clear and effective self-expression in communication
- Listening: what listening is NOT – and possible traps
- Tuning in with your partner in conversation: listen empathically
- Communication in four steps
- Expressing gratitude as a first step towards constructive and appreciative relationships